Thursday, March 29, 2012

DB Backup Job for a Maintenance Plan taking a long time

Hello,
I am trying to schedule complete backups of some of the databases that I
have on my database server using the Database Maintenance Plan. However,
when the DB Backup Job is run for backing up the database, it just keeps on
executing (status). There is no backup file created for any of the database
that I have chosen.
However, if I can manually backup each of the database by Right-clicking
each database in Enterprise Manager and choosing 'Backup Database'.
For some reason, the same backup process fails / takes very very long time
when I use a scheduled job created from the Database Maintenance Plan.
Any ideas?
Thanks
What's in the maintenance report? Any errors ? Where are you backing up
to ? Disk or Tape. If it is tape, did you check that the path to the
default backup directory exists ?
Markus
|||Sorry, that last comment should have been "IF yo backup to DISK (not
tape) check if the path exists"
M
|||I have the same problem (SQL7), except that the backup file is created (in
about a minute and a half) but the SQL Agent Job never completes. I have to
manually stop and restart SQL agent for the job status to return to "not
running". I have checked the backup and it is a valid file (restores in
about three minutes).
Job was created using Maintenance plan, backing up to device (filepath) on
the server.
The actual command in the job step is:
EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint N'-PlanID
153F9792-4A76-44CD-944E-C581659E556D -To "Warren Rudman" -WriteHistory
-BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB -UseDefDir -DelBkUps 1WEEKS -CrBkSubDir -BkExt
"BAK"'
"Vince Keller" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to schedule complete backups of some of the databases that I
> have on my database server using the Database Maintenance Plan. However,
> when the DB Backup Job is run for backing up the database, it just keeps on
> executing (status). There is no backup file created for any of the database
> that I have chosen.
> However, if I can manually backup each of the database by Right-clicking
> each database in Enterprise Manager and choosing 'Backup Database'.
> For some reason, the same backup process fails / takes very very long time
> when I use a scheduled job created from the Database Maintenance Plan.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
>
>
|||Follow up:
The problem persisted, so I removed the backup from the maintenance plan and
created it as a stand alone job. There are several ways to do this, the
simplest being to go to enterprise manage, expand your server, expand
Management, and and right-click on Backup. Select backup database, and make
sure that the schedule checkbox is selected (at the bottom of the dialogue).
Now the job runs fine. The remaining jobs of the orignial maintenance plan
show the same errant behavior, though... never quite completing.
"WD Rudman" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> I have the same problem (SQL7), except that the backup file is created (in
> about a minute and a half) but the SQL Agent Job never completes. I have to
> manually stop and restart SQL agent for the job status to return to "not
> running". I have checked the backup and it is a valid file (restores in
> about three minutes).
> Job was created using Maintenance plan, backing up to device (filepath) on
> the server.
> The actual command in the job step is:
> EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_sqlmaint N'-PlanID
> 153F9792-4A76-44CD-944E-C581659E556D -To "Warren Rudman" -WriteHistory
> -BkUpMedia DISK -BkUpDB -UseDefDir -DelBkUps 1WEEKS -CrBkSubDir -BkExt
> "BAK"'
> "Vince Keller" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment