Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DB accessing problems after moving the DB

Hi guys
I just moved my system from a workstation to a notebook. So far so good. But that's the beginning of my trouble. I backed up all databases I need for my developing work installed the SQL Server (Dev Edition) on the notebook an restored the databases. Following to that I enabled the Shared Memory, the TCP/IP and the Named Pipes for the Instance. When I now try to run an ASP.Net Website using one of my databases I'm getting this error message:

Cannot open database "DatabaseName" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\user.name'.

Additionalliy the log (you can find it under SSMS->Management->SQL Server Logs) reports following:
Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 16 what means that the incoming user does not have permissions to log into the target database.

I checked this out by logging the user into some other database (master) and then tryed using the USE DATABASE command to switch to the target database to get a better error message:

Msg 911, Level 16, State 1, Server ComputerName, Line 1
Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database "DatabaseName". No entry found with that name. Make sure that the name is entered correctly.

Do you guys have any idea what I can do?

BTW: The notebook has two NICs. I don't know if has something to do with that.

SOunds kind of like your restore blew up somehow. Try stopping the SQL Server on the workstation, then copy the required MDF / LDF database FILES to the notebook and use the ATTACH method from SQL Management Console. You might also want to consider using SQL Server authentication rather than Windows.

|||

Many thanks! That solved my problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment