Tuesday, March 27, 2012

db access

I have connected to our group's sql 2000 server with NT
authentication but was not expecting it to work. I was
not expecting it to work because it's in a different
domain that my nt account, although I have the same nt
account name in both domains (e.g. I can log into either
domain with the same user and password but the passwords
are only the same because I sync them manually).
What I am wondering is how do I see what group my domain
account is a memeber of? I want to understand how this
account has access. It must be through some group
membership because my domain name is not listed in the
security folder of EM.
thanks"Ken" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:0ffe01c518f1$5e89a0b0$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> I have connected to our group's sql 2000 server with NT
> authentication but was not expecting it to work. I was
> not expecting it to work because it's in a different
> domain that my nt account, although I have the same nt
> account name in both domains (e.g. I can log into either
> domain with the same user and password but the passwords
> are only the same because I sync them manually).
> What I am wondering is how do I see what group my domain
> account is a memeber of? I want to understand how this
> account has access. It must be through some group
> membership because my domain name is not listed in the
> security folder of EM.
The reason that this works, authentication pass-through enables your account
in one domain to pass the account name/password credentials from one domain
to another domain. As long as the account name/password are the same in both
domains, this will generally work (there are exceptions). As a test, change
your account password on domain "b", bet you get prompted (or get access
denied).
Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment